Sunday, March 31, 2013

Introduction

The idea of this blog is to post questions a 3-year old would ask and the simplest answers I can think of. I will not hide the fact that this is a blog about physics. It has to be, as many of the questions 3-year olds ask have their answers in physics. The reason is that young children wonder about two things: 1) What makes people tick and 2) How nature works. How nature works is the realm of physics.

I was surprised and distraught to realize, as a young professor, that most people in the US perceived physics as being very much disconnected from their world. That surprised me because I have been thinking about my environment in physics term from very early on. To me, it's not a connection, it's completely ingrained.

Teaching physics is a lot of fun, because it allows me to recall being a child and wondering about everything. I find answers in our intro physics books that I did not know or hadn't thought of, and find many more questions. In this blog, I am going to share these questions and answers. You may find the answer to the question your 3-year old asked just the other day. If not, I hope you will relay the questions your 3-year old asks. There may be some I can answer.  Evidently, I am defining "3-year old" very broadly.

Wisdom from a 3 year old: Always ask WHY?

No comments:

Post a Comment